April 13, 2010

No, they don't just hand out A's here...

A lot of people think a semester abroad is a time to slack-off and relax, as the academic standards of the host university usually aren't up to par with ND's. Admittedly, this allegedly diminished and less challenging workload was something I was looking forward to. However, if what I've got in store for me over the next five weeks is any indication, this type of thinking needs to be done away with It looks straight up Tough with a capital T. So here's what's facing me head-on (and no, I haven't started on any of it).
  • A 3,500 word research paper for International Relations in the Middle East (due May 5)
  • A 3,500 word research paper for Comparative Politics in the Middle East (due May 5, as well)
  • Two 4 page reading responses for Women, Islam, and the State (one due this Thursday, one due in two weeks)
  • An outline and annotated bibliography for my final paper for Women, Islam, and the State (due next Thursday)
  • A day of leading class discussion in Women, Islam, and the State (sometime in May)
  • A 15 page research paper for Women, Islam, and the State (due May 20)
  • Four final exams (IR in the ME, CP in the ME, Modern Standard Arabic, and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic)
As you can see, not quite the walk in the park I was expecting. While I guess I'm not complaining about the workload (after all, this is college), I'm still pretty surprised. From what everyone's said, studying abroad, particularly at AUC, was a piece of cake. I'm quickly learning that may not be the truth.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, that sounds painful, although I bet I'll get to see what that's like next fall. Japan is known for its rigorous academic schedule.

    ReplyDelete