March 26, 2010

When in Baalbeck...

Who would've thought that some of the world's most impressive Roman ruins would be in Lebanon? Not me.

But after a day in Baalbek, I can definitively confirm that if you want to see ancient Roman stuff, don't waste your time in Italy, come out here to the Middle East. I've never been a huge ancient Roman guy, but I was blown away by the scope, the grandeur, and the durability of the Roman structures at Baalbek, which include a Temple of Jupiter that is the largest Roman temple in the WORLD. IN LEBANON. CRAZY.

The ride out there was two hours and 6000 LL ($4) and it was through some of the craziest, most treacherous mountain passes ever (foggy as crap on the way back!), plus Baalbeck is located in Hezbollah territory, but it was absolutely worth it! A must see for any Roman enthusiast or anyone out in this area, period. Follow the link to pictures and maybe even some exciting panorama videos if they've loaded.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome, I'm not a big ancient history guy either, (unless it takes place East of the Ganges that is) but my roommate is so I'll show him.

    ReplyDelete