March 05, 2010

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

Well, if you haven't noticed, I've hit a lull in the exciting experiences department. Even here in the middle of the Arab world, the realities of being a college student have set in, and as such, I can't afford to be out and about every evening/weekend. In fact, this weekend, I have absolutely no plans at all, and intend to stay home and do homework and readings (read: sit around and do nothing productive). Boring I know. But to be honest, many of the classes here seem just as exerting as the ones back home, and some may even give me a serious run for my money (I'm talking about you, Women, Islam, and the State- why I signed up for it, I will never know).I want to have a good time and see everything the city and region have to offer, but at the same time, I want to make sure I'm keeping my grades up. As such, some sacrifices have to to be made.

Anyway, since I'm not up to too much this weekend, I figured it would be an appropriate time to sit back and reflect on my time in Cairo thus far, which has been about six weeks in total. I've gone ahead and put together two lists, both documenting things that are different here in Middle East then they are back home in the good ol' Midwest, some of them good, some of them bad. It may be a bit of a rehash of some observations and feelings I've already shared, but it's a healthy exercise nonetheless. I realize "The Bad" ones may outnumber "The Good," but don't take that as a reflection of my overall experience here in Cairo- I'm definitely having a fine time.

THE GOOD...
 The Cheapness- This has already been well-documented, but it is worth repeating: living in Cairo is extremely affordable. From the cheap taxi fares to the inexpensive dining options, Cairo is an ideal place for a poor college student to spend a semester abroad.
The Weather- Admittedly, if I revise these lists a couple months from now, "The Weather" may be one of the things I'm not a fan of. However, it is currently about 60-80 degrees everyday, so you won't hear me complaining for awhile.
The "Tuesdays Off" Policy- It's great to have a day off in the middle of the week to either catch up on homework or just to relax and wander around.
The Arabic- Suffice it to say, there are lot more opportunities for me to use my Arabic here in Cairo on a daily basis than there would be back in Pequot Lakes or South Bend.
The Appreciation Factor- Cairo has a lot of shortcomings, but I guess if you look at it one way, this is a positive, as it makes you realize all the things America does differently that you appreciate. The dining halls at Notre Dame are something that comes up almost daily. I will never complain about SDH ever again, that is a promise.
The Relative Freedom- I still have all of the responsibilities that go with being a college student, but being one here in Cairo is a lot less restrictive than being one inside the Notre Dame bubble.
The Geographic Location- Let's just say that if I were at ND for the semester, I wouldn't be going to Lebanon/Syria/Jordan/Jerusalem for Spring Break.

THE BAD...
 The Rip-Offs- When an Egyptian salesman sees a group of Americans coming, there's only one thing on his mind: "How much can I swindle from these khwagas?". Maybe it's a bit of a blanket statement, but most of my experiences thus far reinforce it.
The Lack of Milk- Petty, I know, but I love me some milk, and it seems to be difficult to come by here in Misr. Imagine how much better a falafel sandwich would taste with a big glass of the white stuff...
The Bus Ride- The bus ride from Zamalek to AUC dorm is, at times, unbearable. I suppose in the morning it's fine because you can just sleep, but at night, when the ride takes sometimes over 2 hours, it makes me want to go crazy. I hate all kinds of waiting, whether it be standing in line or stuck in a traffic jam, so you can imagine how the bus ride effects my temperament.
The Dirtiness- I'm not known for having an acute fondness for cleanliness (heck, my nickname is "The Trucker"), but the conditions here in Cairo are disturbing. Trash is everywhere. You get used to it, but you still wish they had some sort of functioning waste disposal system.

The Sports Deprivation- I definitely get by with internet resources, but not being able to flip on the TV and watch some college hoops or some Sports Center is a little irritating. March Madness may be a difficult stretch for me.
The Bed I Sleep In- I've always had difficulties with getting to sleep, but the bed I have here certain isn't helping me. Instead one, solid board that the mattress lies on, it's a series of smaller ones, that leave gaps in between. When these mini-boards spread out, as they tend to do, the leave gaping holes where the mattress sags down.
The Laundry System- There is a washer and dryer on each floor in the dorm, but if they aren't already being used, they're usually out of commission.
The Time Difference- It's bearable, but being 7-8 hours ahead of everyone can be difficult, especially when corresponding with professors and staff back at ND.

THE UGLY...
Well, I wasn't sure exactly what to talk about under this title, but I had to include it anyway for the sake of conformity. Anyway, my 21st birthday was this past Tuesday, so I guess I'll put up a few pictures from the night's celebration.


 The beautiful blueberry and snickers cake from Pumpkin. Thank you Helen, Rosie, and Chelsea!


 Ben feeding me birthday cake

 
Christopher, William, Robin, and friends wishing me "Happy B-day" from Florida. Thanks guys!

7 comments:

  1. Did you read the Arabic I wrote on my card? Definitely called you a khawala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh..that you did. how thoughtful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm not coming to visit you over break, Trucker. That would've been pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you meant chi chi mon, William.

    ReplyDelete